COMMON PIPE SMOKING PROBLEM
Tongue bite, or an irritation of the tongue, is caused by one or more of the following reasons:
- Improper cake (or no cake) in the heel. This causes a BRIAR pipe to smoke hot.
- A “drug store” quality pipe fitted with a filter system which traps bitter fluids in the shank of your pipe.
- Tobacco too tightly packed in the heel. This leaves no air pockets for good combustion.
- Smoking low quality commercially packaged tobaccos containing preservatives and other artificial ingredients.
- Not tamping evenly or often enough.
- Smoking or puffing your pipe too fast. Cigarette smokers often have this habit when switching to a pipe.